My work is Abstract Expressionism. Points of departure are architecture, landscape and essential nature. I then deconstruct my foundation. In the break-up I paint intuitively, trying to balance the emotional and the contemplative..
Thomas Hart Benton observed that the creative process is an unfolding one, where actual ends cannot be foreseen, and that work involving matter develops a behavior of its own that in turn determines the actual character of the result. I have found this to be true in my painting.
My painting is influenced by Willem de Kooning and Gerhard Richter and is characterized by texture, energy and rhythm. Each painting is created by many layer-over-layer approaches, with nuances that invite close examination.
My first art teacher was Neil di Sabato at the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts in Philadelphia. His encouragement launched me to plein air study in Buonconvento, Italy and finally to study abstract expressionism in Palm Springs, CA with Kwok Wai Lau. Lau’s influence was transformational and continues to this day – he gave me freedom.
- Palm Springs Art Museum – AC Juried Exhibitions – 2016, 2015, 2012, 2011, 2010;
- Incognito, Naples, FL- by invitation in support of the Naples Museum of Art;
- Philadelphia Photo Arts Center – painting exhibition;
- Saguaro Hotel, Palm Springs, CA – two-artist exhibitions – 2016, 2015;
- Artistic Expressions of the Coachella Valley Exhibition, University of California Riverside – 2017, 2016;
- Colin Fisher Studios, Cathedral City, California, 2017.
You can contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org